Most people have experienced tooth pain at some point in their lives. Perhaps the pain came in the form of a cavity that had gone ignored a little too long or via a chipped tooth that occurred due to a facial injury. Whatever the reason, the best way to address severe tooth pain is to identify the root cause and take steps to rectify the problem causing the pain.
When the pain is severe, however, a visit to your dentist is in your near future. While you wait for your dentist to secure an open appointment, utilize these speedy pain relief methods:
- Take an over the counter pain medication. For severe tooth pain, dentists recommend ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation that could be causing your pain or acetaminophen to address the source of the pain itself. Both can work effectively to manage your tooth pain. Depending on the source of your pain, you may even want to alternate medications to address both inflammation and pain. Be sure to contact your dentist or adhere to package dosing instructions.
- Perform a saltwater rinse. Rinsing with lukewarm saltwater can ensure the affected area is free of any bacteria and draw out the remaining infectious fluid. As a result, inflammation can recede, and some healing can begin. For toothache relief, take the following steps:
- Pour 8 ounces of warm water, and add ½ teaspoon of salt
- Stir until all salt is dissolved and the mixture appears clear
- Swish the mixture around in your mouth for about 30 seconds, and spit
- Repeat as necessary
If you need assistance locating an emergency dentist near you, you can rely on the team at Emergency Dental Services. Our network of skilled dentists is available on an emergency basis, and our service can help you find an available dentist in your area to address the root cause of your severe tooth pain. Call Emergency Dental Services 24/7 at 1-888-350-1340 or reach out online today.